Not everyone can – or wants – to plan a week away during the summer. In fact, some people like to take advantage of neat activities in their own backyard. Here's a guide:
- Get up early and go to a fresh farmers market on the other side of town.
- Plan a neighbourhood potluck barbecue and invite local families. Create an activity theme such as softball games or badminton – and include small prizes for everyone.
- Go to a local zoo. Let kids linger at exhibits they find fun and interesting. If there's no zoo, visit a kid-friendly museum or aquarium instead.
- Head to a theme park. Check ahead as many offer annual passes for not much more than the cost of a one-day ticket.
- Plan a picnic at a nearby conservation area or park. Pack a lunch, a blanket and a Frisbee.
- Camp in your own backyard. Borrow or buy a tent, then after you've set it up, gather air mattresses, sleeping bags or blankets, pillows and mosquito repellent. Pack drinks in thermoses and snacks in Ziploc bags.
Last but not least, have your house cleaned by the professional house cleaners at MOLLY MAID, so it feels like you're staying at a nice hotel. Part of the pleasure and fun of going on vacation is having all the cleaning chores taken care of by someone else!