When the rooms in your home begin to smell a bit dusty, try these natural, air freshener ideas. They’re a refreshing change to chemical air fresheners that you buy.
- Open the windows.
- Set out bowls of vinegar, which absorb odours.
- Make your own citrus air freshener for the bathroom:
2 cups hot water
1/8 cup baking soda
½ cup lemon juice
- Dissolve the baking soda in hot water, then add the lemon juice and allow to cool.
- Pour liquid into spray bottle, shake, and use as needed.
- For bedrooms, try a vanilla air freshener:
1 cup water
1 cup household vinegar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Bring all ingredients to a boil then simmer over medium heat for two minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour liquid into spray bottle, shake and use as needed.
Note: Increase/decrease the amount of vanilla to your preference.
- Fill a pot with water and add favourite fragrant ingredients such as cinnamon, herbs and citrus peels, and simmer all day.
- For the fridge or bathroom, try an orange freshener:
- Cut an orange in half and remove the pulp;
- Fill the empty shell with some salt;
- Put the freshener in the back of your fridge or behind your toilet.
- Keep the orange shell in a small bowl so it won’t tip over and spill the salt.
The salt absorbs stale and unpleasant odors while the shell releases a fresh, orange scent.
(Recipes/ideas from http://tipnut.com/easy-air-fresheners)