Spring cleaning is not just for your home anymore – you can spring clean your community too! Is there a park near your neighbourhood that is often littered with garbage? Wouldn’t you like to see it cleaned up? In honour of Earth Day, organize a community cleanup! Working together for a healthy environment is a great opportunity to further develop relationships with your neighbours. Here are some ideas to help share your love of a cleaner and greener environment:
Rally your Neighbours
- Talk to your neighbours and post signs (on recycled paper) letting your community know you’d like to organize a cleanup of the local park, school, community centre, etc.
- Consider putting a notice on your local town or community’s website requesting volunteers – be sure to include the date and time of the cleanup.
Add some extra Fun
- Make the cleanup into a fun scavenger hunt for the children who are participating; who can find a banana peel or a pop can?
- Add a bit of competition to the mix for the adults; who can fill their bag with garbage first or who can collect the most bags of garbage?
Sort your Goodies
- Did you know that your local recycling driver could add up to three extra hours to their regular route because of improperly sorted recyclables?
- Set up containers labelled “garbage”, “recycle” and “compost” and be sure to properly sort the items you collect – sorting could be a great way to get the children involved and to teach them about the importance of recycling.
Enjoy a Potluck Lunch
- You’ll build up an appetite after all the great work you’ve done, so celebrate your success by asking everyone to bring their favourite appetizer… you might want to wash your hands first!
- Mix and mingle with your neighbours and gain a stronger sense of community – and a greener earth!
Why not turn this into a pledge to make ‘spring cleaning your community’ an annual event!
Want to know how to keep your Community cleanup drive ‘Green’? Read more of our blog for eco-friendly cleaning tips and contact your local MOLLY MAID today for an environment friendly cleaning service near you.