There’s nothing worse than a spill on the carpet. We put so much effort into keeping carpets clean by taking our shoes off at the door, restricting access to pets and small children and vacuuming once a week. And then, one tiny bump or collision has a full glass of wine, juice or bowl of dip upended and soaking into the fibres. The main problem with a carpet stain is the lack of access to both sides and, of course, not being able to wipe it up and throw it in the washing machine. So, the quicker you can get at the stain the better.
We’ve compiled a few helpful tips for tackling your carpet stains:
- If the carpet stain is still wet, try pouring a little club soda on the stained area. Wait a few minutes and blot until moisture is absorbed.
- If you don’t find the stain right away, mix a ¼ cup of vinegar, 1 tbsp. of dish soap in a spray bottle and fill with water. Spray the stained area liberally and let it soak in for about 5-10 minutes. Using a clean microfibre cloth press firmly against the stain for several minutes repeatedly blotting until stain is removed.
- Salt is a good absorbing agent for mud stains. Sprinkle it liberally on fresh stains and allow it to soak up moisture. Then vacuum. Or better yet, sprinkle it all over your carpet, vacuum, and smile at the results!
- You can also soak throw rugs (and drapes) in a solution of salt water, then wash as usual, to remove stains.
- No salt or club soda? Shaving cream is a terrific instant carpet stain remover. Simply apply, blot and rinse well.
- If your carpet is a little musty, a fine sprinkling of baking soda, either right from the box or using a fine-mesh sieve should do the trick. Wait a few hours or ideally overnight for the baking soda to absorb odours, and then vacuum it all up for a fresh smelling rug.
PRO TIP: Never rub a carpet to soak up liquid that has been spilled. Using a dry microfibre cloth (or maybe two or three) blot the area until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Blotting is key. Whatever you do, resist the urge to rub!
For even more fabulous cleaning tips to keep your home running smoothly and mess-free, be sure to check out our blog curated by the cleaning experts at Molly Maid Canada!