Spring is the perfect time to check your homes curb appeal and make improvements where necessary. Here’s a checklist to help you get started.
- Roof: Inspect your roof for leaks and replace it if necessary. If you are unable to replace the entire roof, have a roofer patch spots that are beginning to wear.
- Bricks: Inspect the bricks of your home to see if they need to be replaced.
- Gutters: Use a ladder to locate the downspout. This is where you want to begin cleaning. Remove larger debris with a trowel and a bucket. Next, use your hose to remove smaller debris by running it at the opposite end of the downspout. Check the bottom of the downspout to ensure the water is flowing normally.
- Windows: Clean the exterior of your windows using a mix of mild dish soap and water. Wash the windows up and down, moving from left to right. Dry your windows using a dry microfibre cloth to prevent streaking. If your windows need to be replaced, opt for energy-efficient, double-paned windows to help keep heat and cooled-air inside.
- Lawn and garden: Start by mowing your lawn. Trim any overgrown tree branches and hedges. Add some warmth and colour to your garden by planting spring flowers such as tulips and daffodils.
- Front door: Your front door is the main focal point of your home and therefore, it’s important to keep it looking fresh. Replace your old and discoloured front door with a new one. Choose a style and colour that complements the interior of your home. If your hallway is dark in colour, consider a door with a lot of windows to brighten up the entryway.
- Porch: Start by removing everything from your porch. Use a high duster to remove cobwebs and dust from the upper corners. Use a microfibre cloth and a mix of mild dish soap and warm water, to wipe down patio furniture, planters, ornaments, windows and doors. Sweep and hose down the patio thereafter. Return items to your front porch.
- Garage door: Does your garage door look dirty and worn? If so, it may be time to spruce it up. Start by cleaning the exterior with a microfibre cloth and a mix of mild dish soap and warm water. Apply a fresh coat of paint to the exterior or replace your garage doors if necessary.
- Outdoor light: Your home should look good at night too. Add a front porch light; update your lightbulbs or strategically-place solar lights throughout your garden, to brighten up the exterior.