Streak Free Windows in 3 Easy Steps
Keeping windows clean can be a challenge, especially in the summer, and doubly so with kids and pets. Sticky fingers, wet noses and everyday dirt and grime can leave windows looking dull and shabby. Make your windows clean and sparkly with this simple DIY cleaning solution and a few pro tips.
All you need is an empty spray bottle, some white vinegar and water. The acidic composition of vinegar acts quickly to break down the film and dust that accumulates on glass surfaces ensuring fabulous streak-free results.
- Mix one part distilled vinegar to 10 parts warm water into the spray bottle.
- Wipe down the window with a microfiber cloth or paper towel to remove any residual dust. Next generously spray the entire surface with your DIY cleaning solution.
- Spray window cleaner on the surface of the window, rubbing the vinegar mixture across the window cleaning away spots and smudges. Wipe horizontally on one side and vertically on the other so that you can see and avoid streaks.
- Use a second clean microfibre cloth to dry your window as thoroughly as possible. You’ll want to do this quickly after cleaning in order to prevent streaks, so clean windows one at a time.
- If you find that you still have streaks after you’ve cleaned your window, simply rinse with clear water to help remove any of the remaining cleaning solution.
- Wait for a cloudy day to tackle this task. Direct sunlight will cause cleaners to dry and evaporate too quickly leaving streaks that are hard to buff out. Overcast skies are ideal, your cleaner will be able to do its job and there will be less of a glare on the glass, making streaks easier to find.
PRO TIP: Avoid using glass cleaners that are based in ammonia or alcohol. You may think they will do a better job as the chemicals are more harsh, but in reality, ammonia and alcohol based products can leave streaks and even a thin film that attracts dust and moisture.?