Unclog Your Sink with this Simple Money Saving Secret!
If a clogged drain has you running for a chemical drain cleaner, it may be time to reconsider your options. There are downsides to using chemical drain cleaners, in fact, many professional plumbers caution against using such products. Not only harmful to skin (causing even serious burns), they can also damage plastic pipes, septic systems, and the environment. Why not take a more natural approach? Everything you need is right there in the pantry!
- Boil a kettle of WATER.
- Squirt some grease-fighting DISH SOAP (helps to dissolve grease) into the drain and carefully pour the BOILING WATER into the drain.
- Pour 1 cup of BAKING SODA into the drain. If you have it, a funnel makes the process much more effective!
- Pour 1 cup of distilled WHITE VINEGAR into the drain and don’t be alarmed by what happens. When baking soda (an alkaline substance) and vinegar (a mild acetic acid) are mixed, the reaction can be somewhat dramatic, but will start to break down the clog in your drain.
- After the fizzing subsides, wait five minutes.
- Flush the drain with BOILING WATER. If the water seems to be draining well, run hot tap water to finish the process. If not, you will have to repeat the steps.
Weekly maintenance of your drains, especially in the kitchen, is the best way to avoid clogs.
For more tips on the amazing cleaning power of baking soda, click here.