Your little one is all grown-up and is ready to embark on the next stage in his/her life: post-secondary school. Gone are the days of cleaning up after them, making their meals and doing their laundry. All you can do now is prepare them for their next adventure and what better way to do that then providing them with their very own ‘keeping things clean’ kit! We promise they will thank you later! Here’s what should be included:
- All-purpose wipes/spray: These handy cleaning supplies will help pick up crumbs, clean up spills and prevent germs from spreading especially during the cold and flu season.
- Microfibre cloths: These are great to have, especially for dusting. They can be used dry to wipe down desks or damp to clean up spills and crumbs. What’s great about microfibre cloths is that they can be washed and reused. They are also much more eco-friendly than paper towels.
- Vacuum cleaner: A hand-held vacuum is another easy way to clean up crumbs and dust just about anywhere. Make sure to show them how to use it properly and remind them that it will need to be emptied frequently.
- Dish soap: Although they might not use many dishes, it’s important that they clean the dishes they do use regularly. A small bottle of dish soap is all they need. What’s great about dish soap is that it can also be used for surface cleaning, hand-washing, washing their hair and keeping insects at bay.
- Hamper: This is a must-have in a student dorm. Since most dorms have communal washer and dryers, it’s important to purchase a hamper that is easy to carry around. Pop-open or foldable hampers are great for dorm living as they take up less room and are easy to maneuver. Some hampers even come with wheels to make transport easier.
- Garbage cans: Teach your kids to get into the habit of throwing stuff out from the get-go. Providing them with a small garbage can and bags makes it easier to transport their garbage to the communal garbage disposal site. It also helps keep their places clean!