The LCBO’s Food & Drink August issue is jammed packed with helpful tips and hints for summer entertaining. If you haven’t picked up a copy, we’ve pulled some of our favourite drink and cocktail ideas together to help ensure your next backyard bash is the best!
How Many Drinks Do You Need to Buy?
Deciding the number of drinks you’ll need to serve your guests is never easy. More is better than less, but it can become expensive and irresponsible. Here are a few guidelines to estimate just the right amount:
- 1 drink per guest, per hour of the party
- 6 glasses of wine, per 750-ml bottle
- 17 cocktails, per 750ml bottle of spirits
- Buy 15% more, to cover last-minute guests
Make Sure to Go Green!
Enjoying the outdoors is what summer is all about, so cherish nature by making your party as eco-friendly as possible:
- Avoid single-use disposable glassware, cutlery, plates and napkins
- Have reusable glass or metal straws on hand
- Create clearly labelled recycling and compost stations (this helps guests do good, feel good and help you with clean up!)
- Help guests keep their glasses, by name-tagging them with dry-erase marker and glass charms that easily identify which glass is which.
- Shop second hand stores or vintage shops for reusable napkins.
Make your Stemware Sparkle!
Nobody likes drinking out of a glass that has lipstick residue or greasy fingerprints. Here’s how to get them sparkling:
- Warm up some white vinegar by dunking the whole bottle (cap on) in a sink of hot water for 1 minute.
- Drain the sink and refill it with the warm vinegar. Use a bowl in the sink, if you’re just cleaning a couple of glasses.
- Soak the wine glasses in the vinegar for one hour.
- Use a microfibre cloth to wipe the glasses clean.
- Rinse thoroughly in hot water.
- Dry your stemware with a lint-free towel and place on display.
Do you need to free up some time before your soiree to focus on the décor details? Or do you think you might need a hand with some of the post-party clean up? Just find your local MOLLY MAID and leave the deep cleaning to us! With consistent, reliable and affordable service, you can enjoy your summer without worrying about the mess!