While it may seem a tedious chore, cleaning your windowsills is actually very satisfying. Not only is it easy to do, but it also requires limited effort and provides immediate results. Sometimes it pays to sweat the small stuff!
All you need is a good microfibre cloth and your favourite all-purpose spray. Instructions are simple: spray and wipe. Once sills are sparkling you may notice how dirty your window tracks have become.
Some window tracks get so dirty and gummed up that nobody even bothers to open the window anymore. Get your window tracks gliding in 5 easy steps:
- Using the brush attachment on your vacuum remove dust, loose debris, and dead bugs stuck in the window track.
- Sprinkle a little baking soda on the remaining stuck-on gunk, and then spray some vinegar into the tracks. Allow this to soak and bubble for 10 minutes.
- Scrub the loosened gunk with an old toothbrush or stiff nylon brush. Use a shop vacuum to suck up the wet debris, or wipe it up with a damp microfiber cloth.
- If any debris remains, wrap a damp cloth around a butter knife and guide it into the corners where the dirt is hardest to reach.
- Once you’re finished, add the right kind of lubricant. On vinyl tracks, use a small amount of silicone lubricant. On wooden window tracks, use an appropriate wax. Open and close the window several times to heat and spread the lubricant. Apply more as needed. Don’t skip this important step if you want your windows to glide like new.
Now step back and admire your handiwork!